Phishing is a form of online identity theft in which fraudsters trick internet users into submitting personal information to illegitimate websites.
Phishing scams are usually presented in the form of spam or pop-ups and are often difficult to detect.
Once the fraudsters obtain your personal information, they can use it for all types of identity theft, putting your good credit and good name at risk. Because phishing is one pf the most devious forms of identity theft, it is important for you to become familiar with various types of phishing scams as well as to learn how to guard against them.
These 8 ways to prevent “phishing scams” will keep you from getting wet:
- Communicate personal information only via phone or secure websites.
- Do not click on links, download files or open attachments in emails from unknown senders
- Never email personal or financial information, even if you are close with the recipient
- Beware of links in emails that ask for personal information
- Never enter personal information in a pop-up screen
- Protect your computer with a firewall, spam filters, anti-virus and anti-spyware software
- Check your online accounts and bank statements regularly
YOU DID NOT TAKE THE BAIT! CONGRATULATIONS!